Skip to main content
EURES (EURopean Employment Services)

Hints and tips for jobseekers

This section is for jobseekers from the university and polytechnic sectors, and for those in general who have higher qualifications: students and graduates, teachers and researchers. As certain job sectors are in demand in particular EU countries, highly-qualified jobseekers have good chances of finding a job abroad.

If you plan to start your professional career, find a new job, or a training opportunity in another country of the European Economic Area (EEA) and/or Switzerland, please have a look at the sections below and the related links.

Transition from student life to professional life abroad

Transition from school to work can be a time of uncertainty. Are you about to conclude (or have you concluded) your studies? Do you wish to move and work in another EEA country? If you have foreign language skills, are flexible, determined and motivated to adapt both to a new job and to a new country and cultural environment, then you have the profile to embrace an international career!


Moving from student life to professional life abroad can be daunting. Moreover, applying for a job is often a challenging and time-consuming adventure! In order to make the transition smoother, 6 steps are listed below with useful ’hints & tips’ that you may want to consider before moving to another country. Please click on each item and consult the relevant page.

Hints & tips...

For further information and opportunities to help you manage the transition from student life to professional life abroad, please consult other websites by clicking on "Information and jobs for graduates" in "Related Links".

Last but not least: more than 1000 EURES advisers are ready to advise and assist you on all matters related to the European job market. Start by contacting a EURES Adviser in your country of residence. You can find contact details of EURES Advisers by clicking on "Contact a EURES Adviser".

Researchers’ careers

Researchers can benefit from opportunities to study or work in other Member States and benefit from a European Researchers’ Mobility Portal. A new website - EURAXESS - Researchers in motion  is now available with a broad range of services. It is a one-stop shop for researchers seeking to advance their careers and personal development by moving to other countries. This free, personalised service is there to provide you with comprehensive, up-to-date information on job vacancies and funding opportunities in every field of study throughout Europe. It also acts as a first port of call on the subject of your rights, as well as those of research and funding institutions, and provides several links to help you both before and after you move. For further information, please refer to "Related topics".


Please note that the "Living and Working" section of the EURES portal provides further specifications for individual EURES member countries in the "Hints & Tips" fact sheets section.

You can also find answers to other questions about the European Union and the free movement of citizens to live, study and work in another Member State in the EUROPA portal.